You all have been a part of this journey that is taking me to Uganda. Whether you have been involved directly or indirectly, you each have influenced me in some way. You have offered your wisdom, shared your excitement about traveling abroad, or engaged in conversations that have challenged the way I think – and each of you have shared your love which I will carry with me to Uganda, thank you all.
I am leaving on Sunday, August 21st. It seems very surreal that this is already here. For those of you who do not know, I will be going to school and living in Mukono, Uganda from mid August to mid December. This is not a missions trip, but a study abroad trip – most people hear ‘Uganda’ and assume that I am going to serve, preach, or “save”. But in actuality I have the immense blessing of entering into this culture as a learner, realizing that I have much to learn from the Ugandan people and culture.
Mukono is located about 20 miles east of Kampala, Uganda’s capitol city. While I am there I will be studying at Uganda Christian University in their Intercultural Ministry and Missions program. In addition to class time centered on contemporary political, social, economic and religious issues confronting African peoples and countries, my days will be spent on campus studying, worshipping and eating with Ugandan peers. However, most of my time will be spent in an even more effective learning environment: a Ugandan family.
This is what I am most excited about – I will have the entire semester to be integrated as a member of a Ugandan family. I am told that I will live close enough to walk to the university, but far enough to escape the ‘bubble’ that is so familiar to Christian colleges. Life with a Ugandan family will include eating Ugandan meals, bathing from a bucket, and having limited communication (internet is available on campus, but not in the homes). I have also been told that the majority of homes will have electricity, but most will not have indoor plumbing. Personally I am thrilled about this –I am thrilled that I get to enter into the rhythm of daily life in Uganda through the context of a family.
In addition to the time we spend in Mukono, we will have a one week rural home stay in a village called Kapchorwa, and we will spend one week in Rwanda. There we will learn firsthand about the genocide that occurred in 1994 as we meet people who witnessed the conflict and are working towards reconciliation.
I am anticipating that these next four months will lead to a challenging and a deepening of my faith as I encounter real questions, real injustices, and real cultural differences. I am both nervous and eager to come face to face with these questions that have no human answer, yet which encourage me to wrestle and find the same questions in the heart of our Creator – who is our ultimate answer.
We are excited for you and will be praying for you in Uganda. What an amazing experience you will have! Tim and Kathy Simonsen
ReplyDeleteI'm glad this is clearly about immersion and not a "service project". You will actually get to learn about the culture, the people, as you immerse yourself in life rather than an outside project. Far too many of us go to fix something, when we ought listen, live, and love. You are a young woman of character, and your sense of adventure is full. I know that many will ask you to be safe, and I know it's easy to knee-jerk and claim safety through God and through your passion (which is understandable). Go with God, and recognize that struggle, death, beauty, and relationships happen to even the most prepared, the "safest", and the strongest of us. Be willing to take refuge in the wisdom of others, and please share your journey for those of us you leave behind.
ReplyDeleteBe well, Erika.
Thanks for sharing all the cool thoughts. Very exciting to see someonen going for their dream. Will be looking forward to your future posts.
ReplyDeleteSo excited for you, dear friend. Wi polo bota bonga jo mulye bedyeh
ReplyDeleteErika, I just reread your posting and am moved by it for a second time. I had been excited for you for your upcoming trip. But now I feel like I see just a bit into your heart and know a little of what your african journey means to you. Thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts with all of us. Love you,
ReplyDeleteCarol
Been thinking about you a lot this week, eager to hear what's happening on the ground in Uganda. Live large, Erika, and take it all in. Blessings--Sandy
ReplyDeleteI see from FB you made it to Uganda safe. Hooray! Praying for safe and fruitful adventures.
ReplyDelete